If like me, you are a fan of GPS and find reassurance in it’s ability to help you find your location and directions anywhere in the world, you will most certainly want your GPS device to report some map data and not just coordinates.
Fortunately, Nokia Maps is not only an excellent application that offers highly detailed maps and turn-by-turn navigation, it also features the ability to load map data from Memory and does not require an active Internet connection to function (take that Google Maps).
If your Nokia Phone is connected to the Internet via WiFi/3G etc., Nokia Maps can also download updated tiles of the map on-the-fly along with updated location information. If the phone is not connected to the Internet, Nokia Maps can still benefit from data stored in Phone Memory.
While Nokia Phones come with Nokia PC Suite / Ovi Suite to download and store Map data, the application does not work well on slow connections. It also has issues remembering which location’s map-data has already been downloaded in previous sessions.
Fortunately, you can download the Map Data using a Download Manager on your computer and transfer them to your phone manually.
Nokia Map Data – Updated: April 30, 2012, Version: 00.02.46.103.
|Bihar and Jharkhand||http://static.maploader.maps.svc.ovi.com/map5/maploaderzip-00.02.46.103/103415003.zip/|
|India (All Maps in One)||http://static.maploader.maps.svc.ovi.com/map5/maploaderzip-00.02.46.103/103415.zip/|
|Jammu and Kashmir||http://static.maploader.maps.svc.ovi.com/map5/maploaderzip-00.02.46.103/103415009.zip/|
|Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh||http://static.maploader.maps.svc.ovi.com/map5/maploaderzip-00.02.46.103/103415013.zip/|
|Maharashtra and Goa||http://static.maploader.maps.svc.ovi.com/map5/maploaderzip-00.02.46.103/103415014.zip/|
|Northeast - 7 States||http://static.maploader.maps.svc.ovi.com/map5/maploaderzip-00.02.46.103/103415019.zip/|
|Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand||http://static.maploader.maps.svc.ovi.com/map5/maploaderzip-00.02.46.103/103415026.zip/|
|West Bengal and Sikkim||http://static.maploader.maps.svc.ovi.com/map5/maploaderzip-00.02.46.103/103415030.zip/|
- Connect the Phone to your computer using USB. Your phone should prompt you to choose mode (for ex: PC Suite / Mass Storage / File Transfer). Select ‘Mass Storage Mode’ on the phone.
- In a few moments, your computer should detect your phone as a USB Removable Drive. Open ‘My Computer’ to find out what is the drive letter assigned to your phone. If your phone supports Internal Memory as well as External Memory (SD Card), you may see two drive letters. Open the drive that is used by Maps Application on your phone to store it’s data. To determine which memory is used by the Maps application, start the application and check Options.
- Use the hyperlinks above to download highly detailed maps of States of India and map data for whole of India.
- Extract the download ZIP files to a single location on your computer. You should end up with 16 folders numbers 0 through F (hexadecimal numbering).
- Select all folders and Copy them to clipboard.
- Open the Removable Drive representing your Phone’s memory that is used by Nokia Maps.
- On the selected Removable drive, locate the folder “Cities\DiskCache”. It should already have the 16 folders.
- Paste from Clipboard. The 16 folders from your HDD will get copied to your Phone’s selected memory. You maybe prompted to Replace / Skip / Overwrite files. Select Overwrite.
- If the maps application does not use the updated files, delete the 16 folders from the Phone’s selected memory before copying them from the HDD.
Hope this helps!